"The Depths of the Sea Text"
"Challenger" 3 1/2 Year Voyager
(1) Mapped the Ocean 200 Fathoms
(2) Temperature of the Oceans
(3) Different Characteristics of different Oceans
(4) Positions of Islands
(5) Currents of surface & depths
(6) Animal life in all layers of the oceans
(7) New Animals
Surface on Whalen Artic: Not an MD - ex-medical student Murray took a vacancy on 1st
Challenger expedition. Worked on 5 of 50 volumes.
Minimal wealth of Wealth of Christmas Islands in Indian Ocean
(Income to Britain paid for Challenger expedition)
"Michael Sars" Voyage in 1900
Dr. Hjob (financed by Murray)
Depth of the Ocean (1912)
Wyrlle Thompson Ridge
(Northwest Scotland to Farbes)
(Temperature) SE H20 12° warm than NE in NE 30° and flowery or depth (300 fathoms)
Palumbo & Closing Net - lowered closed - open & haul close and draw in
"Vettor Pissam" Voyage
Leadus: (1) Edward Forbes (1815-1854)
(2) Mathews Maury (1806-1813)Forbes/Manxman - 12 years old "Manual of British Natural History"
Medical Student: Did not take the medical exam instead professor of paleontology,
geology, and natural history
Utilized - Drudge for bottom sample
(Aegean - 200 Fathoms)
8-depth zone/Animal Life
Lifeless deep - Agoric below 300 Fathoms
Maury - American Navy Lieutenant
"Pathfinder of the Sea"
1st text on Oceanography